Sunday, June 03, 2007

Soccermania… or footballmania, choose your pick

If you’ll ask me to name a guy who could be the ultimate icon for the male species, I wouldn’t think twice saying that it should be the football superstar David Beckham. He’s one of the best – if not the best – and I think it’s safe to say that he is the most famous football player ever.

Come on, look at him. He has everything a guy would want. He got the looks, a superb athletic talent, fame, money, charisma and girls going gaga over him.

I’m just not sure if he’s nice or what but I wrote an article about him being Motorola’s newest endorser and I found out that he’s an active UNICEF supporter and that’s cool. The phone that he’s endorsing, MOTO(RED), was created to help the anti-aids campaign in Africa.

He may be a player but if a guy is that famous and good-looking, who wouldn’t right? Can’t really blame him. Lol.

He also has this thing of making things cool and acceptable. If David Beck’s sporting headbands it’s cool – a reason why I’m now brave enough to be seen in public wearing a headband. And somehow Becks also became not just a super-athlete but a pop icon – well if your wife’s a fashion icon (if she is) then you should also look smart and trendy 24/7.

But on the other hand, he’s so full of tattoos. That’s somehow disturbing (but the VII on his arm is cool though). So yeah. He’s also overrated – well everybody knows that. Lol.

I was able to watch Becks return in the game a few nights ago on Star Sports, it was England VS Brazil. I stayed up until 5 in the morning just to watch the game live. It was a good match, and yeah he’s still good. Watching football is just as exciting as watching a basketball game. Watching the whole game of soccer is like watching the last 5 minutes of basketball - full of suspense. I was shouting ‘yes’ whenever Brazil missed a goal and be down if it was England. But the game was a draw. Sigh. I never liked Brazil. Lol.

Anyway, can’t wait for the next FIFA World Cup in 2010. I rooted for Italy in the previous tournament.

showing off my Wolrd Cup '06 shirt. lol.


I don’t really know the deal with the name soccer and football. I took soccer as my last PE sport in college – I was able to persuade the Library Queen to take it as well cause I know once I convinced one the others will follow, good thing she was as ecstatic as I was in choosing that sport. Anyway, our soccer professor doesn’t want to be called Ma’am and I, for the nth time, accidentally addressed her Ma’am while watching a soccer match at the UST field. She then turned to me, gave me a dark look and said, ‘Ano tawag mo sakin?’ in a low voice. My head was on the chopping board, but then I quickly asked her why the sport was called soccer by some and football by others also adding something about American football and such. She smiled and said that it was a good question and started explaining, I just nodded and pretend that I was listening when I couldn’t understand anything she was saying. I was just thankful that she forgot about the Ma’am thing.

Lost my PE soccer pics. Grr. Have to ask the Library Queen if she still have em.

4 Comments:

At 8:05 PM, Blogger jln. said...

sho. if it makes you feel better, i almost failed soccer class in PLM 3 years ago. LOL! i was sooo bad at that game that he just made me the referee and kept tabs of the scores and points of each of my classmates then. hahahahah!

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger jln. said...

oh yea, and about beckham and posh? i'm really not a big fan of them. posh wasn't even my favourite spice girl. lol. and i just saw beckham on pics and magazine covers. but he does look gorgeous. and it's nice to know he supports unicef. haha, there's a heart behind that amazing body? lol. =P

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger p said...

logging in my pass.. i'm not a soccer fan coz i think soccer peepz are cool. but i'll be checking your blog

 
At 4:23 AM, Blogger p said...

hwy.. dropping back to tell you your interview is up! looking forward to your reponse :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home