Sunday, April 23, 2006

A year older and my fisrt day


I officially started my OJT last Tuesday, my birthday, and I can say that I really enjoyed it. My practitioner, Sir Ashzel Hachero, turned out to be quite young, in his late 20s maybe. I imagined him to be in his 30s or something. He’s nice and jokes quite often. Though he really looks like my speech professor Sir Satoquia, the only difference is Sir Ashzel’s not gay.

The pressroom in the Makati city hall is really nice. Files are organized, computers on each desk, a black comfy couch, a round table at one side, air conditioned, and a little radio.


A view of the pressroom from the couch

We started at around 9am. Our first stop was the Makati court, which is just beside the city hall. After that at around 10, we hurriedly walked to Shangri-la Makati for a presscon. Turns out we’re not late (the program is said to start at 10 and we finished at the court at 9:56) and I saw Jasmine and Kim also covering the said event. Oh and I also saw Hazel at the court, turns out that we have the same beat, and also Mel though it was her last day there.

With Jasmine and Kim at Shangri-la Makati, waiting for the program to start.

I finished at 6pm. In one day I was able to finish 9 hours – and it’s my birthday. Anyway, after that I went to megamall to have dinner with my family. And I’m really so damn tired. Tiring but fun. I think it’s a good thing.

The thing is Sir Ashzel’s beat is Makati, Pasay, Las Piňas, paranaque, Taguig, Pateros, Muntinlupa, MMDA, Dep Ed, CHED, and NAIA. Tha’s a lot.

Anyway, mom said Angela called, so she gave her my mobile number. But unfortunately we didn’t talked, I was at the presscon when she was calling and I turned my phone to silent mode. I know it’s her because when I checked my phone the screen showed (no number).

The Following days

Nothing much happened in my second day. Not much is happening around. Sir Ashzel just told me to write two police stories, both about a group arrested by the police. I really didn’t like what I wrote, since I’m not really used to writing articles about that.

News was flowing on the third day, though we only stayed at the pressroom. I was told to write 4 articles – well actually 3 since I really didn’t finished the fourth one. Sir Ashzel included my name in his articles – which was the first two articles that I wrote combined – and he edited my first article that was passed to the news desk. He said I did ok and that I’m just having a little trouble with my lead. I was so happy.

Come the next day – I came extra early because we were suppose to go to Manila Peninsula for another press con which was cancelled because we went to the presscon at NAPOLCOM (National Police Cimmission) instead with Hazel – Sir Ashzel told me that Malaya used my article. I was so happy. They even included my name. Even though the original 10 paragraph article was cut short to 3 paragraphs and my name was misspelled “Barniss” I don’t really care. Seeing my name in the newspaper, seeing my article published made me so happy.

People in the pressroom

Sir Ashzel – my practitioner from Malaya is the joker of the group. He always gives jokes and he is the only guy who is at the pressroom everyday and is always the earliest to arrive. He loves to tease the girls, and they love him. He is also the only one who does not use a laptop. For some reason he can’t say my name, Zaidee. He calls me kuya instead.

Ma’am Hannah – from Manila Bulletin. Young and quite pretty, she somehow loosk like Kitchie Nadal, she is close to Ashzel.

Ma’am Tarra – from Inquirer. Young and the coolest among the group. She always sings out loud while writing her articles. She told me that I look like Tj Burgonio – have no idea who he is and how he looks like, she said he is a writer for Inquirer, we have the same hair, height, etc. Calls me Tj.

Ma’am Jo – also from Inquirer. Pretty and serious in her work. Eyes and hands on her laptop moist of the time. Not much of a talker.

Ma’am Rhodina – from Phil Star. Everyone calls her ate. The serious type, she always tells Ashzel to buy pandesal. The only one who can pronounce Zaidee correctly.

Mike – from Phil Star. Doesn’t want to be called sir, just Mike. Funny and somehow loud like Ashzel.

Sir Lito and Sir Rikki – from GMA and ABS radio. Not always there, but they’re nice. Sir Lito is also from Angono.

Hazel – my classmate last sem in ma’am Pusta’s class. Mike’s trainee.

Karen and Wilhelm – girls from Adamson. Trainee’s of Ma’am Rhodina.


Everything is ok so far. I’m having a good time. Learning a lot. I still have 175 hours left.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home